I’ve had a couple of bits of nice news in the last couple of months. I had been part of a group paper for VALA, unfortunately whether it be my inability to write a paper collaboratively or simply continuing personal dramas, I failed to contribute to it. Actually it’s not necessarily an inability to collaborate, it could just be that I see deadlines as fluid and flexible whereas everyone else meets them :-) While I’m sad that I let folk down, I’m also glad that they got the paper done without me. I’ve also been keen to get my name taken off the paper and requested it a couple of times. Got a very nice email in the last week asking if I’d be ok with my name being removed given my lack of contribution – the person in question had missed my emails requesting the same and I’m guessing was rather relieved when I happily responded that removing my name would be fine :-) In other news, I’ve been asked to chair a session at Beyond the Hype in a couple of weeks. That at least I can do, and do on time, and as I know all 3 folk in my session, should be able to mostly adlib it. Well, I’ll be reading up on all 3 papers and people anyway because adlibbing works best for me, when I have a good foundation of knowledge. Preparation does wonders and it means if my muse fails on the day, I have a fallback position.
- I think I need to take a week off to watch all the trailers I need to watch 8 hours ago
- "Arctic Cities Crumble as Climate Change Thaws Permafrost" wired.com/2016/10/thawin… 20 hours ago
- "Opera's latest browser can cope with your mountain of open tabs" engadget.com/amp/2016/10/25… 20 hours ago
- "Wirecutter and Sweethome purchased by New York Times in "more than $30 million" deal" boingboing.net/2016/10/24/wir… 20 hours ago
- I've long been a user of "uniq" for command line sh, but just realised that it can have args eg "uniq -c" to count duplicates 1 day ago