I haven’t had much time off this year and I’ve been feeling tired for a while. June-July tends to be a busy time for both work (end of financial year etc) and personal (filmfest, birthdays, etc) and it’s been hard to find spots to take a breather or get a few things done. My partner I do have a week planned for Tassie in mid August, and she’s taking the week before off to help Ms17 with exams. I’ve recently decided to take a week off after the Tassie trip and have it to myself though have offered to drive Ms17 around to print stuff for her HSC major work.
So I thought I’d make a list of things I’d like to get done as once I’m on holidays, any plans tend to go out the window and I fudge it day by day. Still, making a list has at least given me a useful list of things to do if I get stuck:
- watch Twin Peaks – all of it. Despite loving David Lynch movies, I’ve never actually watched any of Twin Peaks. This is a distinct gap in my education.
- Install internet mesh – I’ve been waiting for the NBN to be installed before going ahead with this project. We had the lawn dug up and cabling installed about a year ago but then it was put on hold forever…I think we’re now due end of this year or early next year. A mesh setup will improve connectivity within the house and reduce black spots while providing a single SSID for devices. That should also speed up access to stuff stored on the NAS and improve its usefulness.
- Fix TV cabling – we’ve recently bought a smart TV but it seems to be competing at times with the PVR. At the moment both devices connect directly to the sound base and I suspect I should be connecting the PVR directly to the TV. It would also be nice to get the hearing aid loop working with the TV.
- Enjoy life – this seems essential and shouldn’t be forgotten
- Visit Bankstown Library – I worked there many years ago and still have friends there and I miss it. It was moved across the road to a new, fabulous building a couple of years ago and I still haven’t checked it out.
- play some more with web archiving tools and analysis – haven’t touched it in a while and need to do some more. Plus I’m going to a conference in NZ in November on this stuff and hoping to learn lots more
- Watch last Tomb Raider movie – missed it at the cinema…actually I miss quite a bit at the cinema these days.
- Drive somewhere – ’cause random drives are fun
- Re-watch some things eg Interview with a Vampire, Charlie’s Angels
- watch a bunch of episodes of The Avengers – I bought the box last year and I would like to work my way through all the seasons
- Sew buttons – my favourite shirt has lost a button, as has an old jacket. It’d be nice to sew them back on and be able to wear them
- Listen to my ipod – sometimes it’s just nice to put the headphones on and bop around the house
- do some reading – I would anyway but seemed odd not to include it in the list
I suspect I will keep adding to this list and not get most of it done. That’s ok.